Welcome to Our Lodge
Unity Lodge Upcoming Events
Unity Lodge 2016 Officers
Worshipful Master - RWB Harry E. Needham III
Senior Warden - Bro. Edmond J. Battle
Junior Warden - Bro. Brian J. Tardif
Treasurer - RWB William A. Bonney Jr.
Secretary - WB Timothy V. Cavanaugh
Senior Deacon - Bro. Kevin L. Tate
Junior Deacon - Bro. Paul D. Catanzaro
Senior Steward - Bro. Raymond J. Rossignol
Junior Steward - Bro. Hiram Morales II
Marshal - Bro. Thomas M. Noone
Chaplin - RWB Brian E. Beals
Historian - WB Roger B. Thorin
Tiler - HWB Orson Rothkopf
Associate Stewards - Bro. Harry E. Needham IV, Bro. James P. Cavanaugh II, Bro. Jeffrey L. Davis,Bro. Jose E. Delgado, Bro. Scott W. Beckom, Bro. Andres Arroyo III, Bro. Alfredo Olivier
Our Lodge History
Unity Lodge #148 AF & AM got its start in New Britain, CT on December 18th, 2001 when it met for the first time under dispensation in the New Britain Masonic Temple on 10 Mason Drive in New Britain. The primary focus of its first meeting was to elect officers and make plans for the future. Unity Lodge #148 came into being when two lodges, Centennial Lodge #118 AF & AM and Walnut Hill Lodge #139 AF & AM consolidated and unified into one lodge.
To better appreciate Unity Lodge #148’s beginnings, a brief history of Masonry in New Britain needs to be understood. Before New Britain became a city, it was part of the town of Berlin. Berlin Lodge #20, which was later renamed Harmony Lodge #20, was formed on October 13th, 1791. The original charter was given to Captain Stephen Cole by Grand Master William Judd. Its first officers were Captain Stephen Cole as WM, John Cole as SW, Asa Deming as JW, Benjamin Galpin as Treasurer, and Giles Curtis as Secretary. Its first meeting place was the home of Abraham Wright. Col. Issac Lee, who gave New Britain its name, joined the lodge in 1798. Fifty years later, in 1848, Harmony Lodge #20 moved to New Britain and met at Temperance Hall on Main Street. An outgrowth of the original Harmony Lodge #20 resulted in the formation of two other lodges: Centennial Lodge #118 was formed in 1876 and Walnut Hill Lodge #139 in 1930.
A brief history of Centennial Lodge #118 begins in 1876: the year of the centennial signing of the Declaration of Independence. It was this celebration from whence the name of the Lodge was taken. The Lodge first met under dispensation on June 8, 1876 where the following officers were elected: Henry Tolles as WM, Francis Chambers as SW, R. C. Dunham as JW, L. R. Bailey as Treasurer, and S. C. Dunham as Secretary. The Lodge continued to work under dispensation until its Charter was issued on March 7th, 1877. At this time, the Masonic bodies were meeting in a building built by Bro. John Hanna.
Walnut Hill Lodge was started by a group of Swedish brothers endeavoring to form a new lodge in New Britain. The Grand Lodge granted them a Charter and they held their first meeting on January 3, 1930, and by this time, all the Masonic bodies were meeting in the new Masonic Temple built on West Main Street the year before. Their first elected officers were John White as WM, Aaron Carlson as SW, Seeward Strople as JW, Albert M. Peterson as Treasurer, and Carl E. Berry as Secretary.
The three Masonic Lodges met at the Masonic Temple on West Main Street until 1939 when the building was sold because of its costly upkeep. The Masonic Lodges now rented space at the Vega Hall at 59 Arch Street in New Britain. The Lodges met there until 1967 when a new Masonic Temple was built at 10 Mason Drive. The three Lodges had their meetings at this building on different nights, but over time, due to social changes and the implementation of new technologies such as cable television and the internet, membership in all the Lodges slowly dropped off until in the year 2000 the Lodges began discussing consolidating their members and their resources. Harmony Lodge #20 chose to close and most of their members went to Friendship Lodge #33 in Southington. Centennial Lodge #118 and Walnut Hill Lodge #139 decided to consolidate and formed Unity Lodge #148. The name of Unity Lodge was chosen because the two Lodges felt that in uniting they would become stronger and have more to offer its members and the New Britain community. The number 148 is issued by the Grand Lodge. The Charter for Unity Lodge #148 was granted on January 25th, 2002, when the Most Worshipful Grand Master Gustaf Bodine and the Grand Secretary Russell McClelland presented it to the Worshipful Master-elect Brian R. Evans and the Secretary-elect Arthur W. Jones III. The officers that were installed that evening were Brian R. Evans as WM, John D. Hair as SW, Steven M. Goodwin as JW, William A. Bonney Jr. as Treasurer, and Arthur W. Jones III as Secretary.
Since this time Unity Lodge #148 has met at the Masonic Temple on 10 Mason Drive and has become better, stronger, more organized, and a better part of both the New Britain and Masonic communities.
*A great thanks to our wonderful Lodge Historian WB Roger Thorin for providing our Lodge with this rich and impressive historical research.